Picked up early to head to Tokyo and check into our new Hotel across the street from the show.
Dropped off the luggage and headed to The Fish Market, downtown. What a feast for the eyes.:) I loved it!
Over 2 million pounds of fresh fish comes in daily, if you can imagine that?
Crates and crates of fresh fish in open boxes on ice. You can look in and see everything. And, to say there
is no smell is crazy but true. After taking a spin of the Market we headed to find a Sushi Restaurant.
It's here, in small cluttered, tight alleyways that you get a sense of maybe preconceived pictures of what you
think it would be like. Again, I loved it. Alley after alley with small business after one, most selling fish, many many Sushi
restaurants. Most had lines waiting out front to get in, as most only have a few seats. All, is as fresh as it gets.
We made our way down a bit and actually came to quite a large Sushi Restaruant (at least 3 stories high, we were on the third level). Each floor was complete with it's own Sushi Bar and from 5-8 cheifs at each bar, plus sitting tables.
We arrived on our floor, given lockers for shoes and shown to our table.
Genji ordered the food and the feast began.
Now remember, I DO NOT EAT FISH, either does Julie. Maybe a Fish taco (battered) or Fish and Chips (battered) or shrimp, that's the extent of my fish eating. But, I said I was going to try everything and I did!
The food began to come out and out and out, WOW, all raw. ?????
I tried it all (Julie tried some too:)) and I have to say, I LOVED IT!
Amazing, so good. I've always said it's the seweed that alot is wrapped in that I didn't care for, so I did steer away from that but, had more then enough to choose from...I ate a whole Kipling, longer then your finger, head, body and tail. Yum!
I ate Salmon, Tuna, White Fish, Squid, Ele, Butter fish, shrimp, crab etc. You name it, I ate it.! And loved it.
Interesting note, there were two types of Tuna...one that is deep red and lean, the other is marbled like a good steak would be. In the States the lean one would be the choice, in Japan the Marbled on is the expensive fish. Of course I started with the marbled one and delish it was.:) I can't even begin to do this justice with all the food, soups, appetizers etc, it really was a eventful experience that I enjoyed very much. Julie? Maybe not as much but give her credit for trying some things. One more sidenote, Genji told us that the most expensive Tuna sold for $60,000. if you can imagine that???
We then were off for a day in Toyoko.
Starting with the View Trade Center up 44 stories with a panoramic view and indoor walk around sky tower, stunning to say the least of a very beautiful skyline.
We left there and headed to the Emperior's Palace. Surrounded by a huge moat and high walls, not much to see here. The Palace is only opened two days to the public a year but the Gardens year round. Unfortunately, not on this day. From what we could see I'm sure it's impressive. Especially, with the Tradiontional archetiture, which I love.
From there we were off to a Buddist Temple. Truly, beautiful and so much to see. We had to make it quick as I really wanted to see the Cherry Blossoms as well. I had been waiting to see the Cherry Blossoms and there was a park near by that we could walk to and experience a stroll under the Blossoms, along a river. It was Stunning! What I had read and saw was worth the wait. :)
The Blossoms are really a spirtual experience for the Japanese and it's a very much a celebrated event every year. They take time to go out and enjoy the Blossoms with blue tarps that they lay under the trees and have a pinic with the Family. It serves as a time for Refelection, Peace and Solace. I really enjoyed this.
Back to the Temple we did some speed shopping in the Tourist shops and then a quick (too quick) view of the Temple and surrounding Gardens, really lovely.
Julie, had her first Tradiontional Toilet experience here....:) WOW!
She took pictures, actually, I took the pictures. They had two styles...Westeren (like ours) and Eastern (their's).
Eastern, looks like a Men's urinal but it's put into the ground, flush with the ground. Stand over, Squat, you get the idea.:)
We then headed to the Genzi District which is the Rodeo Drive of Tokyo. All the Finest, High End shopping in the World.
Wow, kind of like Time Square in NY, with lights, shops, people, restaurants, bars etc.
Shopping, looking, walking a feast for the eyes. We went into a Department Store that had a basement floor with just Food, Sweet, Pastry's and Chocolate, Amazing!
We continued walking trying to pass some time before our next big meal. We came across a small spa and duck in for a Shoulder/Food Massage...Fabulous!
We then went to a World Famous Tempura Restaurant right on the main street in the Genzi District. Don't know how many stories this Restaruant was but our private room was all glass over looking the Main Street in Genzi. Our Host that night was Mike and his lovely wife; co owners/sponsors on Hunter the Borzoi over from the States. We had our own Chief and again had
yet another amazing meals, filled with great conversation, toasts and food. What fun and lovely people.
Upon arriving back at the Hotel we started to run into friends from across the World.
Needless to say we fell into bed again, exhausted, full but so happy for such a wonderful experience and day.
Friday, April 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Excuse the spelling and grammar errors, just trying to get thoughts down and eye still not great from this Ramsay Hunt, can only have short stints at the computer, reading, etc.
ReplyDelete